Sunday, September 14, 2008

Friends and Family, After the "hunker down"

Grace and peace to all. When the storms are raging, it is good to know there is a God greater than the storm. Please keep praying for the recovery process and all people who will come together to rebuild community.

For me "hunkering down" included lots of prayerful hours, calling upon the Lord, and appreciating peace in the midst of the storm. When the wind wailed, I prayed for peace. When I heard trees breaking, I prayed for safe landing away from the homes of neighbors. As the sheets of rain ran across the skies, I cried unto the Lord for grace beyond grace, peace beyond peace, and quieting of all anxiousness that could cause worry.

Truly I am grateful for the comfort of the Holy Spirit during the fearful moments in the early hours of the morning on September 13th. Our lights went out at 2:00 am and the dark night was scary. When the first candle was lit, prayers of thanksgiving were lifted unto God for keeping my family and for saving people that had evacuated from many places on the Gulf Coast.

In the name of Jesus, I am grateful for the security granted to many in the midst of Hurricane Ike. The next morning, the trees looked as though they had bowed down away from our home and our neighborhood was spared. As the flood waters drained, the damage was on property and not life. Again, I continued praying to God for keeping us in spite of the devastation caused throughout this mighty hurricane. As the day moved on, neighbors helped neighbors...God answered more prayers in the late night. Our lights returned. May the hope of light that Jesus freely gives be granted to all.

No comments: